URISA's Caribbean GIS Conference
- Click on the link above to start reviewing the abundance of education in the comprehensive schedule and download the app to your smartphone! The tool is useful for creating your draft conference schedule. Note there are optional preconference courses and meetings that begin on Sunday, September 4.
- Call for Presentations - The deadline has passed, however late submissions will be considered.
- Exhibits & Sponsorship
- Registration & Venue - Registration discounts until June 1; Hotel room block is available until August 3 or until the room block sells out.
- Check back for details about the App Contest, Story Map Competitions and Missing Maps exercise.
URISA is thrilled to be heading back to Barbados for the 2016 URISA Caribbean GIS Conference. Barbados was the site of our second conference in 2004. The conference is organized by a committee of Caribbean GIS experts, who dedicate considerable time and energy to developing an important educational program. The conference features an Exhibition and a number of professional development and networking opportunities.
The deadline to submit abstracts has passed though late submissions may be used for IGNITE talks and possibly to fill cancellations. Online Submission FORM
When you submit your abstract please indicate the presentation format that is best suited for your proposal (note that the committee may ask you to reconsider your preferred format to fit the program needs).
- Complete Session: Usually 60 -90 minutes, complete sessions offer detailed learning objectives and information/skills for participants to put into action back home.
- Individual Presentation: Each presenter is allotted 20 to 30 minutes, plus 10 minutes for questions. Presentations of this type will be scheduled with one or two other presentations to form a cohesive session of 60 or 90 minutes in length.
- Panel: A 60-90 minute presentation which encourages interaction and discussion between the panelists and the audience. Panel presentations should include at least three panelists all speaking on different aspects of a particular topic.
- IGNITE Presentation: A big hit at URISA conferences each year, the IGNITE presentations (also known as lightning talks) are limited to 5 minutes (20 slides auto-advanced at 15 seconds each). The best presentations are both educational and entertaining!
- Presentations that market specific products and services are not acceptable at the conference. Exhibiting/sponsoring opportunities to promote your company's products and services will be abundant at the conference.
- All accepted presenters must submit either a formal paper (preferred but not required) or presentation with notes (i.e. PowerPoint/Prezi) during the conference for inclusion in the conference proceedings. Your session moderator will collect the papers/presentations during the conference on a thumb drive.
- All accepted presenters must register and pay the regular conference registration fee. Acceptance as a presenter does not register you for the conference — registration fees are required.
- All participants must read and abide by the URISA Event Code of Conduct to promote a respectful experience for all.
Don't miss the opportunity to promote your organization's solutions to this informed and enthusiastic community. Please note that pipe & drape booths will not be included with the exhibition and we recommend that you bring along a pop up booth to customize your exhibit space.
2016 participating exhibitors:
Booth space reserved:
Sani International - #1
Esri - #5
Spatial Innovision - #6
GeoTechVison - #7/8
MilSoft Utility Solutions - #10
EOMAP - #12
Hexagon - #13
GeoOrbis/DigitalGlobe - #14
Earth Analytic, Inc - #15
Washington College GIS Program - #18
Full Conference Registration includes Proceedings, Opening Reception, two luncheons, and Conference Social Event. Attendance at a pre-conference workshop will require an additional fee. The registration fee for a single day registration includes the Conference Proceedings, attendance at the educational sessions and social events for that day only.
URISA International or URISA Caribbean Chapter members receive a discount on registration.
All participants must read and abide by the URISA Event Code of Conduct to promote a respectful experience for all.
For budgeting purposes (US Dollars):
- Super-early registration rate (by June 1, 2016) - Full-time Student: $75 / Member: $300 / Nonmember: $325
- Early rate (June 2-July 1, 2016) - Full-time Student: $100 / Member: $325 / Nonmember: $375
- Regular rate (July 2-August 31, 2016) - Full-time Student: $125 / Member: $350 / Nonmember: $425
PRECONFERENCE WORKSHOPS & COURSES – Not included with full registration. Participation is limited and an additional fee is required. Lunch is not provided. Be sure to review the program to avoid schedule conflicts with other meetings you may be attending.
One-day registration is also available: $175 member/$200 nonmember (by June 1); $200 member/$225 nonmember (June 2-July 1); $225 member /$250 nonmember July 2-August 31)
Note that registration forms received after August 31 or at the conference will incur an additional $50 US.
Register For the Conference Now:
Book Your Hotel Room: The conference will take place at the Hilton Barbados. We have negotiated an attractive conference rate of $159 plus tax (including internet access). The group rate is available until August 3 or until the block is full.
- Reserve your hotel room now via this online Hilton form.
More Barbados locales featured on the Above Barbados YouTube Channel. Beautiful!
"Attending the URISA Caribbean GIS conference always proves to be a exhilarating, learning experience, well worth the time with great networking opportunities available. I think this geospatial event is a great use of money by any GIS professional seeking to perfect their craft in the Caribbean. There's always a wide spectrum of attendees, presenters, keynote speakers, etc. to interact with, who represent a wide cross-section of public and private industries, agencies and academic institutions not only from the the Caribbean region but as far as North America and Europe. I am always excited about walking away with ideas, insights and information on how to implement world-class GIS business models for my organization better and more efficiently each and every time. DON'T MISS THE CARIBBEAN'S PREMIER GIS CONFERENCE!" - Fidel Omar-Ali, Telecommunications Services of Trinidad & Tobago Limited (TSTT)
“The URISA Caribbean GIS conference is the premier geospatial event in the Caribbean. It is the best place to see and discuss all aspects of geospatial technologies with like-minded individuals. I am consistently amazed at the great educational content. I simply never miss the URISA Caribbean Conference and I always encourage others to attend. When they do, they are always impressed with the quality of the event." - Valrie Grant, MSc,GISP - Managing Director, GeoTechVision
The 2014 Conference took place October 26-30, 2014 at the Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort in Curacao.
Final Conference Program - see what you missed!
Thank you to our Exhibitors & Sponsors:
- Spatial Innovision
- West Indies Aerial Survey