URISA's Caribbean GIS Conference
Mark your calendar for the 8th URISA Caribbean GIS Conference!
September 5-8, 2016 - Barbados Hilton
URISA is thrilled to be heading back to Barbados for the 2016 URISA Caribbean GIS Conference. Barbados was the site of our second conference in 2004. The conference is organized by a committee of Caribbean GIS experts, who dedicate considerable time and energy to developing an important educational program. The conference features an Exhibition and a number of professional development and networking opportunities.
"Attending the URISA Caribbean GIS conference always proves to be a exhilarating, learning experience, well worth the time with great networking opportunities available. I think this geospatial event is a great use of money by any GIS professional seeking to perfect their craft in the Caribbean. There's always a wide spectrum of attendees, presenters, keynote speakers, etc. to interact with, who represent a wide cross-section of public and private industries, agencies and academic institutions not only from the the Caribbean region but as far as North America and Europe. I am always excited about walking away with ideas, insights and information on how to implement world-class GIS business models for my organization better and more efficiently each and every time. DON'T MISS THE CARIBBEAN'S PREMIER GIS CONFERENCE!" - Fidel Omar-Ali, Telecommunications Services of Trinidad & Tobago Limited (TSTT)
Call for Presentation Proposals
Why should you present at URISA's Caribbean GIS Conference?
- Get recognized for your achievements and enhance your professional profile.
- Increase the visibility of your organization.
- Help somebody else who is facing similar challenges.
- Receive valuable points toward your GISP certification or renewal.
- Practice your presentation skills … discuss your work in a meaningful way to a variety of individuals.
- Receive valuable feedback from your peers. Are you on the right track?
The Conference Program is developed through a Call for Presentation Proposals. The Committee welcomes the submission of individual papers, complete sessions, panel discussions and lightning talks. Consider the following list of suggested topics for consideration (note that all abstracts received will be reviewed and considered for the conference program regardless of the list below):
- Mobile technology and field data collection
- Climate change
- Collaboration, coordination and cooperation across departments, agencies, ministries, regions
- GIS management challenges and best practices
- SDI, Standards, Policy
- Big data to support planning and development
- Web solutions
- Business intelligence and analytics
- GIS in support of economic development
- GIS in public safety, emergency response and disaster management
- Improving addressing
- Landuse planning
- Coastal and marine spatial planning
- Environmental monitoring and analysis
- Commercial applications including retail, insurance, manufacturing, financial services
- The use of location technology
- Land/Parcel management
- GIS in the ‘Cloud’
- How to prepare/use Census GIS
- Citizen's use of GIS - web access
- Aerial imagery and LiDAR
- Use of drones/UAVs for collecting imagery
- Innovative health GIS applications
- Oil and gas
- Enterprise GIS trends
- Open Source GIS
- PPGIS - community participation
- Developing GIS leaders in your organization
- Data management challenges
- Standards implementation issues and experiences
- Data sharing, open data
- Creative funding solutions
- Other hot/trending topics
Abstract Submissions are due by December 1, 2015.
When you submit your abstract please indicate the presentation format that is best suited for your proposal (note that the committee may ask you to reconsider your preferred format to fit the program needs).
- Complete Session: Usually 60 -90 minutes, complete sessions offer detailed learning objectives and information/skills for participants to put into action back home.
- Individual Presentation: Each presenter is allotted 20 to 30 minutes, plus 10 minutes for questions. Presentations of this type will be scheduled with one or two other presentations to form a cohesive session of 60 or 90 minutes in length.
- Panel: A 60-90 minute presentation which encourages interaction and discussion between the panelists and the audience. Panel presentations should include at least three panelists all speaking on different aspects of a particular topic.
- IGNITE Presentation: A big hit at URISA conferences each year, the IGNITE presentations (also known as lightning talks) are limited to 5 minutes (20 slides auto-advanced at 15 seconds each). The best presentations are both educational and entertaining!
- Presentations that market specific products and services are not acceptable at the conference. Exhibiting/sponsoring opportunities to promote your company's products and services will be abundant at the conference.
- All accepted presenters must submit either a formal paper (preferred but not required) or presentation with notes (i.e. PowerPoint/Prezi) during the conference for inclusion in the conference proceedings. Your session moderator will collect the papers/presentations during the conference on a thumb drive.
- All accepted presenters must register and pay the regular conference registration fee. Acceptance as a presenter does not register you for the conference — registration fees are required.
- All participants must read and abide by the URISA Event Code of Conduct to promote a respectful experience for all.
Abstract Submissions are due by December 1, 2015.
Online Submission FORM - coming soon
- Abstract submissions due December 1, 2015.
- Notification of acceptance status by January 18, 2016.
- Presenters confirm participation by February 1, 2016.
- Presenters must register for the conference by April 1, 2016 to secure their participation.
- Conference: September 5-8, 2016.
- Papers due for the Proceedings at the conference.
Exhibits & Sponsorship Opportunities
Come back soon for details about promoting your organization's solutions to this informed and enthusiastic community.
Registration & Venue
Full Conference Registration includes Proceedings, Opening Reception, two luncheons, and Conference Social Event. Attendance at a pre-conference workshop will require an additional fee. The registration fee for a single day registration includes the Conference Proceedings, attendance at the educational sessions and social events for that day only.
URISA International or URISA Caribbean Chapter members receive a discount on registration.
For budgeting purposes (US Dollars):
- Super-early registration rate (by April 1, 2016) - Full-time Student: $75 / Member: $300 / Nonmember: $325
- Early rate (by June 1, 2016) - Full-time Student: $100 / Member: $325 / Nonmember: $375
- Regular rate (June 2-August 31, 2016) - Full-time Student: $125 / Member: $350 / Nonmember: $425
Venue: The conference will take place at the Hilton Barbados. We have negotiated an attractive conference rate of $159 plus tax (including internet access).
“The URISA Caribbean GIS conference is the premier geospatial event in the Caribbean. It is the best place to see and discuss all aspects of geospatial technologies with like-minded individuals. I am consistently amazed at the great educational content. I simply never miss the URISA Caribbean Conference and I always encourage others to attend. When they do, they are always impressed with the quality of the event." - Valrie Grant, MSc,GISP - Managing Director, GeoTechVision
2014 Conference Scenes
The 2014 Conference took place October 26-30, 2014 at the Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort in Curacao.
Final Conference Program - see what you missed!
Monday, October 27, High Level Geospatial Information Management Meeting Participants
Renewing Connections: Dr. Earl Edwards (Trinidad),
GeoOrbis booth is always active with partners from
Milsoft, longtime participant at the conference.
Gathering specs from West Indies Aerial Survey.
Ronald Chapman (Barbados)
Roy Huggins, GIS4C, Esri's distributor for
The Here booth was busy.
Roshaun Clarke of Spatial Innovision
Thank you to Caribbean GIS Conference Exhibitors & Sponsors
- Spatial Innovision
- West Indies Aerial Survey