Workshops & Training Courses
Call for Workshop Proposals
Do you enjoy teaching/presenting? Want to help transfer knowledge to the greater GIS community? URISA is seeking new educational content for presentation at conferences, as stand-alone events or virtually.
Training Courses to Fit Your Educational Needs
URISA Workshops have long-been recognized as exceptional educational offerings. URISA invests considerable resources in the development, production and improvement of URISA Certified Workshops. Workshops are taught by qualified instructors and the content is vendor-neutral, peer-reviewed and updated annually.
Be sure to check all URISA conferences and listings on the event calendar to determine if a particular workshop is planned for presentation near you. Or scroll down to find out how to license a workshop for presentation at your event or for your organization.
Current URISA Workshops
Half Day Courses:
- Emergency Preparedness for GIS
- GIS Return on Investment
- GIS Capability Maturity Model
- NG9-1-1 for the GIS Professional
Full Day Courses:
- 3D Geospatial: Project Implementation Methods and Best Practices
- Building an Address Repository Using the FGDC Standard: Implementing Quality and Data Sharing
- Asset Management: Planning, Strategy, and Implementation
- Business Intelligence and Data Integration for the GIS Professional
- Cartography and Map Design
- Deploying Mobile Solutions: What to Consider
- GIS Program Management
- GIS Strategic Planning
- Introduction to Open Street Map for GIS Users
- Introduction to Public Participation GIS: Using GIS to Support Community Decision Making
- An Overview of Open Source GIS Software
- Public Data, Public Access, Privacy, and Security: U.S. Law and Policy
- Quality Management: Introduction to Issue Tracking
- Transportation Spatial Database Design
Interested in Updating a URISA Certified Workshop? These workshops need a champion to lead a comprehensive update and refresh:
- Best Practices for Developing Geographic Information Models
- Building Quality Spatial Data
- Crime Mapping
- Database Development and Conversion
- Digital Orthophotography
- eGovernment Planning Policy and the Portal
- GIS Enterprise Architecture & System Integration
- Integrating Civil Engineering and GIS/IT Disciplines
- LiDAR Concepts
- Spatio-Temporal Data Modeling
- Utilizing Geospatial Metadata as a Data and Project Management Resource
If interested in leading a workshop update, please contact Wendy Nelson.
Attend a URISA Workshop - URISA Workshops are presented at GIS-Pro: URISA's Annual Conference, at URISA specialty conferences and at many URISA Chapter conferences and events.Frequently, organizations integrate URISA workshops into their conferences instead of developing their own courses from scratch. They are also presented as stand-alone educational events. Check the event calendar for an offering in your area.
License a URISA Workshop - Provide your members/employees/users an important professional development opportunity by hosting a URISA Workshop in your area (as part of another event or as a stand-alone offering). Consider a full slate of education and host multiple workshops! Jurisdictions and firms that have a need for GIS training frequently license URISA workshops for presentation at their location, rather than sending all of their staff off-site to receive the training. Very cost effective...details about workshop licensing follows:
URISA Workshop Licensing Guide - Suggestions and best practices for hosting a URISA Workshop. This guide includes a Workshop Checklist to ensure that your event runs smoothly.
- URISA Chapter - $500 per workshop plus requested instructor honorarium and/or travel expenses
- All other organizations - $1,000 per workshop plus requested instructor honorarium and/or travel expenses
Note that significant discounts are available if your organization purchases a series of licenses.
To obtain a copy of the license agreement please contact Wendy Nelson.