Geomatics System Specialist
Job Number: BCH-R-0873-180215E1
Job Location: Burnaby (Edmonds), British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time Permanent
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row. It's our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
Designs, implements and maintains technically complex hardware and software systems for new or existing user programs or facilities to ensure effective compatibility/interface with the mini, micro and main computer systems by: defining the problem, purpose, scope and/or interfaces with any existing applications; gathering and analyzing data on inputs, outputs, functions and associated costs and benefits; developing a general outline of the proposed application and preparing reports of technical, operation and economic feasibility; conducting design sessions with users and developing the detailed flow and logic of the proposed applications; determining equipment configurations required to support the applications; developing mathematical models using simulation and other techniques; incorporating controls and procedures to ensure accuracy, completeness and security of data; developing test data and designing special testing methods or procedures; developing conversion procedures required for implementation into production status; training end users in the use of the new system and reviewing detailed programmed results to ensure desired results have been obtained; and preparing cost analyzes for above projects.
- Resolves and implements solutions to hardware and software operational problems in order to isolate the problems as hardware or software related by determining appropriate corrective measures on short-term and long term basis and arranging for and/or performing necessary repairs/corrections to be made to equipment/software.
- Develops, implements and maintains Enterprise GIS by gathering and documenting requirements and needs, act as project coordinator for design, acts as interface with IT developers and disseminates information so others can implement plans.
- Analyzes user requests for development of new engineering systems and/or extensions to existing systems to determine feasibility, cost effectiveness and appropriate action.
- Undertakes requisite post-processing of photogrammetric data to meet internal and/or end user needs.
- Plans, justifies, acquires and disposes of hardware resources required for the operation of the photogrammetry section by: evaluating new hardware/software products to determine their suitability and feasibility to interface with existing hardware and user applications; testing new equipment and preparing formal recommendations; developing specifications for equipment tenders; and preparing justification and reconciliation reports for purchasing.
- Communicates with internal customers and external agencies including governments, vendors and contractors to discuss technical issues related to geo-spatial data.
- Coordinates system related program development beta testing.
- Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties that do not affect the rating of the job.
- College Diploma in Geomatic Sciences or Computer Science; plus programming skills; plus 5 years of experience in related photogrammetry/GIS or survey work including the development of systems.
- Experience using software such as MicroStation, AutoCAD, ARC GIS, FME and Smallworld considered an asset.
- This position is affiliated with the Movement of United Professionals union (MoveUP/COPE). http://moveuptogether.ca
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Don't forget to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and copies of your certifications. If applicable, include your Trades Qualification. This will ensure we have all the necessary information to assess your application without any delays.
Click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by March 3, 2018