Position: Planning Manager
Organization: School District of Palm Beach County
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Job Number: 182369
Closing Date: midnight on May 18, 2018
PURPOSE: The Planning Manager is responsible for managing all activities related to the District’s coordinated planning process with emphasis on intergovernmental relations and real estate. Position participates and represents the District in interagency planning processes and coordinates the annual state-required Five Year Work Plan.
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, educational facilities planning, geography, public administration or related field. American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification preferred.
- Experience in intergovernmental coordination and planning processes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of local and state codes and regulations pertaining to land planning, growth management, and comprehensive planning.
- Working knowledge of real estate law.
- Working knowledge of finance and fiscal management principles and practices; experience with capital planning preferred.
- Demonstrated ability work with diverse groups, individuals, governmental entities, administrators, and the public.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of current computing technologies and software applications appropriate to the position’s job responsibilities.
- Manages all activities related to the District’s coordinated planning process with emphasis on intergovernmental relations and real estate services.
- Participates in interagency planning processes and represents the District at public hearings and on boards and commissions addressing regional issues.
- Represents the District on Local Planning Agencies (LPA) as required by statute.
- Responsible for review of developments county-wide for potential impact on the public school system.
- Provides support to Principals, District Staff, community groups, municipalities and other governmental agencies relative to planning, intergovernmental coordination, and real estate services.
- Assists in preparing and updating the District’s Five Year Capital Plan, particularly as it pertains to capacity projects.
- Responsible for annually coordinating the state-required Five Year Work Plan.
- Recommends procedures that govern and support inter-local coordination with county and local governments and School Capacity Availability Determination (SCAD).
- Utilizes resources available through federal, state and private agencies to assist in the planning of schools and facilities to provide infrastructure and service improvements.
- Oversees all aspects of real estate acquisitions necessary for the building of new schools and other facilities including, but not limited to, property identification, appraisal, due diligence / site feasibility reports and negotiations.
- Provides information to appropriate parties and stakeholders both internal and external, e.g., School Board, budget / finance / audit committees, government agencies, etc.
- Reviews educational capacity needs and demographic data to recommend capital projects or modular classroom allocations.
- Prepares documents and reports relating to school capacity availability and residential developments.
Performance Effectiveness Criteria:
In addition to the employee being responsible for each of the performance responsibilities listed herein, annual progress will be assessed with respect to support and achievement of the District Strategic Plan and associated applicable scorecards.
Additional Job Functions:
- Follows adopted policies and procedures in accordance with School Board priorities.
- Conducts oneself in the best interest of students, in accordance with the highest traditions of public education and in support of the District’s Mission Statement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Salary Level: S4
FLSA Status: Exempt
Capable of lifting/carrying 20 lbs. and occasionally up to 50 lbs.; some physical activity require
How to Apply:
Visit the School District of Palm Beach County's Recruitment page at https://www.palmbeachschools.org/jobs/
3300 Forest Hill Blvd
West Palm Beach, FL 33406