Membership Categories, Benefits & Dues
- Membership for Individuals (professional, student, young professional)
- Membership for Government Agencies - includes subscription to the GIS Capability Maturity Assessment Service
- Membership for Educational Institutions
- Membership for Corporate Partners
Individual membership benefits currently include: discounted pricing on URISA-sponsored conferences, workshops, webinars and publications; subscriptions to the URISA Journal, The GIS Professional, and URISA Digest; access to the vast electronic URISA Library of conference proceedings, Journals, and other resources; along with advocacy efforts on behalf of the profession and ample opportunities to contribute.
- Professional Membership (annual dues $175)
- Student Membership (annual dues $20): Full-time students (applies to only those students who are currently enrolled as graduate students and have 9 credit hours or more or are undergrads and have 12 credit hours or more of courses).
- Young Professional Membership (annual dues $125)
For a number of years, URISA has demonstrated its commitment to Young Professionals through the introduction and support of the Vanguard Cabinet. To further appeal to the next leaders of the organization, URISA is pleased to announce a Young Professional Membership for $125/year – a $50 annual savings. This membership is valid for members, age 35 or under, and is limited to no more than five consecutive years of URISA membership.
URISA International Member Benefits Include:
- URISA Journal – one of the top ranked peer-reviewed journals in the geospatial industry, published biannually (a $295 value) (Note that the Journal will cease publication after the next two issues)
- The GIS Professional – URISA’s bimonthly publication with member-contributed articles on technology, trends, case studies and more (a $60 value)
- Publications - online publications library with dozens of electronic publications and conference proceedings ($3,000 value)
- Advocacy – advocacy in multiple nations for local interests based on a collaboratively-developed advocacy agenda (priceless)
- Affiliation with an International organization active in advocacy on behalf of members and the profession (priceless)
- Best Practices – consensus and publication of best practices on a wide variety of processes and procedures (priceless)
- Contribution Opportunities for GISPs – conference speaking & attendance; publication of articles; opportunities for involvement (priceless)
- Leadership Development – opportunities to develop or improve leadership skills within URISA committees and work groups (priceless)
- Numerous Educational Opportunities – webinars, conferences, workshops ($200 value)
- GIS-Pro Annual Conference registration savings ($150 value)
- Specialty Conference registration savings – GIS/CAMA Technologies, GIS in Public Health, GIS in Transit, URISA's Caribbean GIS Conference and more ($375 value)
- URISA Leadership Academy registration savings ($200 value)
- URISA Digest – updates on URISA activities, announcements, and industry news ($40 value)
- Job Opportunities/Postings – access to comprehensive listings of job openings ($250 value)
- Build Your Professional Network – with members beyond your own local area and in a variety of disciplines (priceless)
Total it up and URISA membership is worth considerably more than the annual dues rate! (If you are retired or currently unemployed, contact URISA for discounted dues rates.)
Or click the button below to join online today!
Organizational Membership Categories
To streamline multiple individual memberships from one agency or organization, URISA offers a Government Agency Membership and an Educational Institution Membership, all detailed below:
Government Agency Membership— now including a URISA GMI GIS Capability Maturity Model Assessment Service Subscription
URISA is pleased to introduce a valuable new benefit as a feature of government agency membership with packages available for City/County/Regional agencies, State/Provincial agencies and Federal agencies.
Agencies will now have access to the GMI’s GIS Capability Maturity Assessment Service as part of the agency membership package (at a considerable discount). The assessment tool indicates your organization’s GIS management maturity on a wide range of geospatial capabilities.
The service was created to provide agencies with a means to evaluate and visualize the operational maturity of their GIS programs. Results of the self-assessment can be used to evaluate and prioritize next steps in improving GIS operations
and effectiveness. Clear presentation of a GIS program’s maturity levels and gaps can lead to support and resources for further growth and new uses of GIS. The CMM assessment subscription service enables GIS managers to monitor
progress annually and to compare their results to their peer group.
- Annual self-administered assessment of key metrics associated with organizational GIS management maturity levels
- Results report and graphic charting
- Visualize your organization’s GIS management strengths/weaknesses
- Comparison across other organizations
Each agency membership includes a specified number of individual memberships (normally $175), along with other valuable benefits. Each individual member receives a subscription to the The GIS Professional, and URISA Digest, discounts on registration for URISA professional education and events, ample opportunities for contributions,
and much more. A primary contact must be named with each government agency membership. Consider this fee table:
URISA has long valued its relationships with the academic community. Most of URISA’s founding members were esteemed faculty within urban planning departments. And a targeted and continuous recruitment campaign for student members is high on our agenda. An Educational Institution Membership is available to faculty and staff at colleges and universities at a single location. This option includes membership for two faculty members and up to ten (10) student members for $400 (value of $550), with additional dues for an unlimited number of student members at $10/each. Another perk for Educational Institutions is access to the member mailing list to promote your degree program.
For the private sector (companies offering IT and GIS products and services), URISA has membership categories which provide an abundance of marketing and promotional benefits for companies interested in connecting with the influential URISA audience. There are several levels of Partnership including a Business category for smaller consulting firms or start-ups. If you are an individual member working for a software or application provider, and your company is not a corporate partner, please speak with your marketing and business development departments about the options available.
URISA is your direct connection to key decision makers in local government GIS; the individuals who drive the adoption of technology within their organizations; the past, current and future influencers in GIS. A partnership with URISA will raise your organization’s visibility, facilitate the exchange of information and ideas, and build relationships with the Who’s Who in GIS. The partnership is much more than sponsoring a conference. You will have a seat at the table in shaping URISA’s agenda with a direct link to the Board of Directors. Network with URISA’s leadership and share valuable perspectives on industry issues. Capitalize on the opportunity to exchange ideas and propose programs that benefit both your organization and that of the URISA membership and GIS Community as a whole.
The opportunities for engagement are limitless and the levels of partnership were designed to accommodate a wide range of budgets and resources. Learn more below or contact Executive Director, Wendy Nelson (847-824-6300, email@example.com).
Or click the button below to join online today as an individual member!
Download an Organizational Membership Application: