Vanguard Cabinet of Young GIS Professionals
URISA's young professional members have taken the association by storm!
- GIS-Pro 2019 Activities
- Digital Competition for University Students and Young Professionals
- K-12 Poster Showcase
- Student Volunteer Opportunities
- Tory Elmore Named URISA Young Professional of the Year
- Retiring Vanguard Cabinet members selected Rachel Rodriguez, GISP, Senior GIS Analyst and Countywide Address Management System (CAMS) Coordinator for Los Angeles County to serve as Chair and Kristin Johnston, GIS Technician for the Raleigh-Durham International Airport, to serve as Secretary for 2019.
- Meet the 2019-2020 Vanguard Cabinet
Sign up to be a Mentor Here
From managing a mentoring program and supporting student competitions to serving as committee leaders and conference chairs, and even being elected to the URISA Board of Directors, these professionals are the NextGen GIS leaders, providing valuable direction and enthusiasm to the community.
Click below to launch the Vanguard Cabinet Story Map:
The Vanguard Cabinet (VC), a URISA initiative, is an advisory board made up of passionate, young geospatial professionals who strive to engage young practitioners, increase their numbers in the organization, and better understand the concerns facing these future leaders of the geospatial community. The VC's mission is to collaborate with URISA’s Board of Directors and URISA committees in creating and promoting programs and policies of benefit to young professionals and to enhance overall innovation, collaboration, networking, and professional development opportunities.
- 2019 Vanguard Cabinet Chair: Rachel Rodriguez
- 2019 Vanguard Cabinet Secretary: Kristin Johnston
The application for the 2020 Vanguard Cabinet will be available in the Fall of 2019.
Podcasts: DirectionsMag has partnered with URISA's Vanguard Cabinet to bring you a collection of podcasts and resources to enhance your professional development.
- What You Need to Know about GISP Certification - Requirements, Benefits and Study Tips
- Young GIS Professionals' Perspectives on Professional Organizations
Join URISA as a Young Professional - discounted membership dues rate!
“As a young professional, URISA's GIS-Pro allowed me to network with a variety of professionals in my field as well as creating opportunities for me to volunteer, present, and get involved in ways I couldn't have imagined. I would not be where I'm at, in my career, without GIS-Pro and the URISA community!”
- Kari Leer, Valparaiso, Indiana (Vanguard Cabinet, 2014-15)
URISA Young Professional of the Year:
- 2018: Tory Elmore
- 2017: Kara Utter
- 2016: Daniel Behnke, GISP
- 2015: Kari Chael
- 2014: Wendy Peloquin, GISP
- 2013: Ryan Bowe, GISP
- 2012: Diana Rodriguez
- 2011: Ashley Hitt, GISP
"The expertise my mentor shared with me through the URISA mentoring program played a significant role in my career path. I gained beneficial information about the field I was entering into and because of the support from my mentor, I was exceptionally prepared for an interview. I would recommend this program, without a doubt, to anyone looking to gain some insight into a new industry or for help just out of college." - Sarah Love-Martin, Geospatial Analyst, Spatial Data Integrations, Inc., St Louis, Missouri