Workshops & Training Courses
Training Courses to Fit Your Educational Needs
URISA Workshops have long-been recognized as exceptional educational offerings. URISA invests considerable resources in the development, production and improvement of URISA Certified Workshops. Workshops are taught by qualified instructors and the content is vendor-neutral, peer-reviewed and updated annually.
Attend a URISA Workshop
Preparing for GISP Certification Workshop
Thursday, April 1, 2021 - Presented Virtually
Scheduling Announcement: The next GISP Exam offering will be June 5-12, 2021. Apply online today and schedule your exam session after paying the exam fee. gisci.org/ExamInfo.aspx
A full day of content according to this schedule:
- Eastern Time: 10 AM – 5 PM with an hour long break from 1-2 PM
- Central Time: 9 AM – 4 PM with an hour long break from 12-1 PM
- Mountain Time: 8 AM – 3 PM with an hour long break from 11 AM-12 PM
- Pacific Time: 7 AM – 2 PM with an hour long break from 10-11 AM
- Wendy Peloquin, GISP, Account Executive, GISinc., Birmingham, AL
- Tripp Corbin, GISP, GIS Implementation Manager, Davey Resource Group, Dacula, GA
- Lynn Dupont, GISP ASLA, Principal Planner/GIS Manager, Regional Planning Commission, New Orleans, LA
- Golnaz Badr, PhD, GISP, Analytics Scientist, Ford Motor Company, Detroit, MI
The GISP credential has become a respected and in-demand indication of your skills as a GIS professional. If you are pursuing the GISP credential, or are thinking of doing so, join us for this full-day workshop, as a group of GIS experts shares valuable information that can increase your chance of success.
Earning the GISP credential requires successfully completing an exam as well as a number of other application requirements.
The first part of the workshop will explore the reasons that the GISP credential is worth pursuing as well as what is involved in completing each part of the application. Then, we will explore the topics that you need to be familiar with for each of the knowledge areas covered by the GISP exam - incorporating the newly revised exam blueprint.
Information presented in this workshop is designed to help professionals who have extensive GIS education and experience but need to know what topics to review prior to taking the exam. It also will help individuals with some GIS experience that may be lacking in one or more areas covered by the exam and that needs to know where to find additional resources to study.
This workshop will help you assess your knowledge of the content, sort out what is and is not covered on the exam, identify content areas you need to focus on, and even rediscover the joys of test-taking.
For more information about the GIS Certification Institute, click here.
Seats are limited to facilitate interaction.
On-line Registration URISA Member Fee $150; Nonmember Fee $250
URISA Workshops are presented at GIS-Pro: URISA's Annual Conference, at URISA specialty conferences and at many URISA Chapter conferences and events. Frequently, organizations integrate URISA workshops into their conferences instead of developing their own courses from scratch. They are also presented as stand-alone educational events. Check the event calendar for an offering in your area. Or scroll down to find out how to license a workshop for presentation at your event or for your organization.
Current URISA Workshops
Half Day Courses:
- Emergency Preparedness for GIS
- GIS Return on Investment
- Introduction to GIS for Equity and Social Justice
- Building Community Using Geospatial Tools
- NG9-1-1 for the GIS Professional
Full Day Courses:
- Preparing for GISP Certification
- Managing Addressing for the 21st Century
- Asset Management: Planning, Strategy, and Implementation
- Business Intelligence and Data Integration for the GIS Professional
- Cartography and Map Design
- Deploying Mobile Solutions: What to Consider
- GIS Program Management
- GIS Strategic Planning
- Introduction to Public Participation GIS: Using GIS to Support Community Decision Making
- An Overview of Open Source GIS Software
- Public Data, Public Access, Privacy, and Security: U.S. Law and Policy
Call for Workshop Proposals
Do you enjoy teaching/presenting? Want to help transfer knowledge to the greater GIS community? URISA is seeking new educational content for presentation at conferences, as stand-alone events or virtually.
License a URISA Workshop
Provide your members/employees/users an important professional development opportunity by hosting a URISA Workshop in your area (as part of another event or as a stand-alone offering). Consider a full slate of education and host multiple workshops! Jurisdictions and firms that have a need for GIS training frequently license URISA workshops for presentation at their location, rather than sending all of their staff off-site to receive the training. Very cost effective...details about workshop licensing follows:
URISA Workshop Licensing Guide - Suggestions and best practices for hosting a URISA Workshop. This guide includes a Workshop Checklist to ensure that your event runs smoothly.
- URISA Chapter - $500 per workshop plus requested instructor honorarium and/or travel expenses
- All other organizations - $1,000 per workshop plus requested instructor honorarium and/or travel expenses
Note that significant discounts are available if your organization purchases a series of licenses.
To obtain a copy of the license agreement please contact Wendy Nelson.