GIS Management Resources
URISA supports organizations and the individuals who manage their GIS.
- Sign up for a URISA Government Agency Membership so your entire staff is on the same page!
- GIS Leadership Academy - respected five day GIS leadership and management training program, currently taught three times a year in various locations.
- GIS Management Handbook
Geospatial Management Competency Model (GMCM): The Geospatial Management Competency Model (GMCM) identifies 74 competencies within 18 competency areas for GIS Management. It is a tier of the Geospatial Technical Competency Model, the U.S. Department of Labor Employment and Training Administration’s (DOLETA’s) Competency Modeling Initiative.
GIS&T Body of Knowledge: This Body of Knowledge documents the domain of geographic information science and its associated technologies (GIS&T). By providing this content in a new digital format, UCGIS aims to continue supporting the GIS&T higher education community and its connections with the practitioners, employers, and clients who comprise the increasingly diverse collection of GIS&T professionals.
URISA is working on several more initiatives to help organizations with their GIS management operations. These include:
- Development of GIS Management Best Practices and Body of Knowledge
- GIS Management-related professional education
- Expansion of GIS Management information dissemination
- Promotion of awareness and adoption of GIS management best practices by organizations and GIS professionals