GIS-Pro 2019 Student and Young Professional Opportunities
In addition to meet-ups and networking events , URISA's Vanguard Cabinet of Young Professionals has teamed up with leaders in the education community to organize a valuable program track titled "Inspiring the Future of GIS".
The track begins with a full-day workshop focused on "Preparing for GIS Certification". The sessions are designed to 1) share GIS Education experiences and innovations across a variety of formats and 2) support young professionals and students in their geospatial career development. The student and YP sessions will provide opportunities to learn about and develop the skills and relationships that will advance their understanding of professional pathways and keys to success in the geospatial workplace.
Further, they are sponsoring a K-12 Poster Showcase and a University and Young Professional Digital Competition!
2019 University Student and Young Professional Competition
Overview: URISA’s Vanguard Cabinet is proud to host a Digital Competition to promote the GIS profession and attendance of young and emerging professionals at GIS-Pro 2019 in New Orleans. This competition will be held virtually on Friday, June 28, 2019 with the top three presenters awarded GIS-Pro registration and a travel stipend.
Participants must submit a 150 – 300 word abstract detailing the project and clearly explain the project design, analysis, and implementation. Participants will be selected based on the demonstrated knowledge and proficiency in spatial analytics, cartographic design, and geospatial techniques.
Selected presenters will deliver an ignite-style presentation on the use of geospatial technology and spatial thinking. Participants must have a computer with internet connection and share their presentation screen during the competition.
- Abstracts due by Friday, June 7, 2019
- Selection by Friday, June 14, 2019
- Presentation due by Friday, June 21, 2019
- Present during Digital Competition on Friday, June 28, 2019 time TBD
- Awardees selected by Wednesday, July 3, 2019
- Confirmation for award acceptance and attendance at GIS-Pro by July 19, 2019
- Registration for GIS-Pro required by Wednesday, July 31, 2019
- Present at GIS-Pro 2019 on Tuesday, October 1, 2019
- Must be a University student at a post-secondary educational institute – OR – a recent graduate (Spring 2019 or Summer 2019) OR Must Be a Young Professional with less than 5 years of experience in the Geospatial field
- Submit a current resume
- University students must indicate graduation date or expected date
- Young and emerging professionals must indicate GIS related work experience
- Must be able to attend GIS-Pro 2019 in New Orleans, LA
- Meet submission and selection deadlines
- Project must be from an individual (no group presentations or projects)
All presenters will receive one year of URISA Student membership (if currently enrolled) OR one year of URISA Young Professional membership
- The top 3 presenters will receive a travel stipend up to $1,000 to travel to GIS-Pro in New Orleans, LA.
- Presenters will present winning presentations during the GIS-Pro 2019 lightning talks session on Tuesday, October 1, from 3:15-5:00 PM.
Travel stipend may cover the following:
- Hotel accommodations
- $50 per day in meals, not including alcohol
*Note: Presenters will be reimbursed for these expenses with receipts after attendance and presentations given at GIS-Pro
Each presenter will be announced prior to the start of the digital competition and the next presenter will be “on-deck” and ready to go for their presentation. Based on the number of submissions, the time allotted will vary.
Submit your abstract by June 7 via this form.
K-12 Poster Showcase
For the past few years, with GIS becoming more popular in secondary education, we’ve been honored to showcase local GIS classes at our conference. In fact, we even hosted a middle school class at the CalGIS conference in Fresno, California!
Typically, the students are invited to attend one day or a part of a day at the conference (whatever works best with travel schedules and workload), set up their posters to discuss their projects with GIS professionals in attendance and have the opportunity to learn about career paths and opportunities as they progress through their school years. They can attend sessions and wander through the exhibit hall to check out the latest technology being offered. It’s been quite fulfilling to watch. One of the 9th grade presenters at GIS-Pro 2017 is coming back this year to do a formal presentation! We are certain she will have a long and successful career in GIS!
The conference will be at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside and the best days to participate would be Monday or Tuesday, September 30 or October 1. The conference agenda is detailed online.
Interested in showcasing your class? Please contact Wendy Nelson at your earliest opportunity.
Student Volunteer Opportunities
A limited number of volunteer slots are available for students currently enrolled in a college or university (or just-graduated). In return for devoting 8 hours of volunteer service (serving as a workshop monitor, helping out at the registration desk, etc.) selected volunteers will receive a free registration to GIS-Pro 2019. Note that travel and lodging is not included.
In addition to taking advantage of the professional education and opportunity to explore various career paths at the event, you'll be able to network with people who may be interested in hiring you in the future or who might serve as your professional mentor! Priceless!
Please complete the volunteer form for consideration by August 30, 2019.
Young Professional and Student Meet-Ups and Networking
Be sure to take advantage of the events planned by URISA's Vanguard Cabinet while in New Orleans. You'll make new friends and valuable professional connections and have a great time! Also learn about Cabinet programs and activities and how you can apply.
Check this space for updates and invitations and follow @URISAVC
Note that Student and Young Professional members also receive significant discounts on registration!