GIS-Pro & CalGIS Student and Young Professional Opportunities
URISA Young Professional Scholarship - Deadline has passed
In addition to meet-ups and networking events , URISA's Vanguard Cabinet of Young Professionals has teamed up with leaders in the education community to organize a valuable program track titled "Inspiring the Future of GIS".
The track begins with a full-day workshop focused on "Preparing for GIS Certification". The sessions are designed to 1) share GIS Education experiences and innovations across a variety of formats and 2) support young professionals and students in their geospatial career development. The student and YP sessions will provide opportunities to learn about and develop the skills and relationships that will advance their understanding of professional pathways and keys to success in the geospatial workplace.
Further, they are sponsoring K-12 and University student competitions and a Young Professional competition!
Win Prizes and Get Noticed!
K-12 Poster Competition
Projects will be judged on:
- Creative use of desktop, web, and/or mobile GIS applications
- Application of spatial thinking and/or analysis to answer geographic questions or address spatial problems
- Quality of cartographic design
- Overall aesthetic of poster design
200 word abstract due by 9/14/2018: Send to email@example.com with subject "K-12 Poster Submission"
K-12 Poster Competition Flyer for details
University Competition - Lightning Talks
Are you currently enrolled in college or a recent graduate? Consider participating in the University Competition, this year an ignite-style format aka lightning talk, limited to five minutes (20 slides auto-advanced at 15 seconds each).
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency in applying spatial thinking and geospatial techniques
- Panel discussion describing project design, analysis and implementation
- Overall presentation quality
150-200 word abstract due by 8/31/2018 (EXTENDED TO September 7)
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject "University Competition Submission"
University Competition Flyer for details
Young Professional Competition - Lightning Talks
If you weren't already accepted for a presentation at GIS-Pro & CalGIS 2018 and are a young professional (35 years of age or younger), consider sharing your project success story via an ignite-style format aka lightning talk, limited to five minutes (20 slides auto-advanced at 15 seconds each).
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency in spatial analytics and cartographic design and how their presentation uses Geospatial Science to help better the world.
- Overall presentation quality
200-350 word abstract due by 8/31/2018 (EXTENDED TO September 7)
Send to email@example.com with subject "Young Professional Competition Submission"
Young Professional Competition Flyer for details
A limited number of volunteer slots are available for students currently enrolled in a college or university (or just-graduated). In return for devoting 8 hours of volunteer service (serving as a workshop monitor, helping out at the registration desk, etc.) selected volunteers will receive a free registration to GIS-Pro & CalGIS 2018. Note that travel and lodging is not included.
In addition to taking advantage of the professional education and opportunity to explore various career paths at the event, you'll be able to network with people who may be interested in hiring you in the future or who might serve as your professional mentor! Priceless!
Please complete the volunteer form for consideration by August 31, 2018.
Young Professional and Student Meet-Ups and Networking
Be sure to take advantage of the events planned by URISA's Vanguard Cabinet while in Palm Springs. You'll make new friends and valuable professional connections and have a great time! Also learn about Cabinet programs and activities and how you can apply.
Check this space for updates and invitations and follow @URISAVC
Announcing the URISA Young Professional Scholarship
A core strategic goal for URISA is to support GIS professionals at all stages of their careers. URISA has established a number of programs to support young professionals and has active participation through programs such as GISCorps with abundant, diverse and rewarding volunteer opportunities, the URISA GIS Leadership Academy, and the Vanguard Cabinet which collaborates with URISA
leaders and committees to create programs and opportunities geared toward other young professionals.
URISA has established a scholarship program which selects up to three young professionals (35 years old or younger) to attend the GIS-Pro & CalGIS 2018. The participants in this program will have the opportunity to attend a one-of-a-kind geospatial super-event in Palm Springs, California and experience cross-discipline sessions covering the most up to date and emerging GIS technologies,
processes and applications, strengthen professional connections through networking with key URISA and industry leaders, and connect with and get involved in local, national and international initiatives and activities, all while obtaining valuable professional/continuing education credits.
Scholarship recipients will be recognized at the Keynote Address with Jack Dangermond, Esri Co-Founder/President!
- Deadline to Apply: August 24, 2018
- Scholarship recipients will be notified: August 30, 2018 (Update: Due to the number of wonderful responses we received and the short holiday week, the selection committee will notify recipients as soon as possible the week of September 10, 2018.)
Eligibility and Attendance Requirements:
- Must be a URISA member in good standing (may join to apply)
- A first-time attendee at this annual event
- Working directly in GIS or working with GIS in a closely related geospatial field
(surveying, planning, engineering, etc.)
- Available to assist in the Vanguard Cabinet booth during the Exhibit Hall Social
- Confirmed ability to secure travel to/from the conference (costs will be reimbursed)
- Attend the opening keynote address (Oct. 10), a minimum of 3 Vanguard Cabinet sponsored events and/or moderate a session, a full day workshop (Oct. 9) and a minimum of one session from at least 3 of the program tracks below:
- GIS Leadership & Management
- Data Driven (aka Smart) Communities
- GIS for Natural Resources
- GIS for NextGen 9-1-1 & Emergency Response
- GIS Supporting Health & Human Services
- Inspiring the Future of GIS
- Geospatial Technology Innovations
- Summarize your conference experience and incorporate how you will incorporate this experience and knowledge into your own career path and professional development by November 1, 2018 to be included in a URISA newsletter. The summary must be received prior to expense reimbursement.
To Apply: Complete the application and attach a resume, a letter of employer support on letterhead (if applicable) and a professional reference/recommendation familiar with your work.
Reference letters must be submitted directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: URISA Young Professional Scholarship Recommendation
- Demonstrated work and/or research within the GIS (or related) industry
- Quality of responses to essay questions
- Impact of work, contributions to the GIS field
- Letter of recommendation
Selected Scholarship winners will receive ($1850 Value + professional growth and networking experience!)
- Free registration to GIS-Pro & CalGIS 2018 in Palm Springs
- 5-night hotel single/double room accommodations
- $500 expense reimbursement towards meals and travel
- Obtain professional continuing education credits for GISP, AICP and others!
- Opportunities to meet and network with other young professionals, Vanguard Cabinet, URISA leaders and key national and international industry leaders
Note that Student and Young Professional members also receive significant discounts on registration!