Manager for the Transportation Systems Analysis Group
Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS), Boston, MA
The Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS) of the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) is seeking a qualified candidate to manage the Transportation Systems Analysis (TSA) Group. The incumbent provides managerial leadership, oversight, and direction to the TSA Group, which supports the MPO and MassDOT transportation policies, projects, and plans using a comprehensive multimodal modeling tool. The manager will work in a fast-paced team environment, providing administrative oversight, guidance, and review of the group’s work on a daily basis. The manager will also contribute to the strategic development and/or expansion of the modeling efforts undertaken by CTPS.
Candidates are required to be knowledgeable of and have experience in the following:
- Travel demand forecasting
- Transportation planning process
- Management of staff, budgets, and schedules
- Understanding of how a Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) operates
- A master’s degree in planning, engineering or a related field is required
- At least 10 years of experience using travel models and supporting regional transportation planning and project-level analysis is necessary
- Other essential qualifications include a thorough knowledge of travel demand modeling methods using transportation planning software packages such as TransCAD, along with strong analytical and communication skills.
- A basic understanding of the federal and state environmental process, NEPA and MEPA, in addition to FTA’s New Starts process is required.
Desired abilities are as follows:
- Knowledge of and understanding of how to use and interpret travel demand models.
- The manager will also work with and advise our Regional Model Development Group on what modeling tools they will need to conduct their work, which will include the development of activity-based models, land-use models, and microsimulations.
- Command of the concepts and analysis associated with multimodal planning processes.
- Working understanding of the synergy between the different transportation modes, such as transit, highway, walking, and biking in eastern Massachusetts.
- Understanding of economic, Title VI, and air quality analysis as they relate to the transportation planning process.
- Ability to provide leadership in a supervisory capacity within a team-based environment and to secure the support and cooperation of the all team members.
- Knowledge of management and organizational principles and strategies to meet existing and future requirements related to transportation-planning work.
- Ability to apply quality control and assurance procedures to all aspects of groups products.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, evidenced in reports, proposals, grant applications, and public presentations.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the mission, goals, objectives, and operating principles of the MPO; federal/state government laws, regulations, and requirements that govern MPO programs and/or MassDOT projects.
Our office is friendly, diverse, and professional. Salary contingent upon qualifications and excellent employee benefits package.
All candidates must have legal authorization (citizenship or visa) to work in the USA.
The Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC) is CTPS’s fiduciary agent and legally employs its staff. MAPC/CTPS is an EOE/AA employer which takes pride in the diversity of its workforce and encourages all qualified persons to apply.
To apply, visit our website at www.BostonMPO.org