GIS Database Developer – WY, CO
Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices in 13 states, is looking for a fulltime, experienced GIS Database Developer in either our Cheyenne, WY, Laramie, WY or Fort Collins, CO office. WEST was founded in 1990 and over the last 26 years has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. This unique blend of disciplines and our years of experience in both areas allow us to provide original solutions to a wide range of natural resource issues from inventory to permitting to risk assessment to basic research. WEST provides consulting services to government, industry and other organizations.
The ideal candidate will have experience and interest in GIS as it is applied to environmental and natural resource subjects. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and administering geospatial database solutions for a wide range of in-house users, programming automation of database- and GIS-related tasks, and providing GIS support for a variety of environmentally focused projects for industry, government, and private organizations.
- Coordinate/implement database programming, development, and administration of PostgreSQL/PostGIS relational databases and spatial geodatabases
- Import/export data
- Ensure all changes/updates to company databases are documented, tested, and approved by users
- Identify and mitigate effects of changes/updates to related teams
- Communicate effectively with programmers and staff to implement database administration
- Develop GIS tools and applications for data access, data analysis, and GIS workflow automation
- Create materials and training for end-users on utilizing GIS tools and applications
- Provide support for internal requests, queries, and data fetching
- Research and develop new datasets and techniques, working with and contributing to the development of an existing GIS infrastructure, including the development of GIS-based tools
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
Bachelor’s degree in Geography/GIS or a related field, such as Information Technology, Computer Science, Remote Sensing, or Environmental Science AND 2 or more years of professional GIS experience
Master’s degree in Geography/GIS or a related field, such as Information Technology, Computer Science, Remote Sensing, or Environmental Science AND 6 or more months of professional GIS experience
- Knowledge of GIS spatial concepts, coordinate systems, and spatial data representations
- Excellent coding, debugging, and problem solving skills
- Professional or academic experience with PostgreSQL/PostGIS
- Strong understanding of and experience with relational databases and SQL
- Experience with Esri ArcGIS Desktop Suite
- Experience and demonstrated knowledge managing GIS systems
- Proficient with database systems and design methodologies
- Proficient in data conversion
- Demonstrated knowledge of concepts and principles of geospatial data management & general data QAQC processes
- Demonstrated knowledge of concepts and principles of data quality, including validation, non-duplication, completion, consistency, currency, timeliness, accuracy, precision, feature completeness, and logical consistency.
- Experience with code versioning management systems such as GitLab/SVN
- Great attention to detail
- Highly organized
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a part of team
- Responds well to, and thrives in a fast-paced work environment
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Ability to write and manipulate scripts utilizing Python and ArcPy
- Knowledge and experience with QGIS
- Familiarity with R
- Experience in web-based GIS application development
- Experience working with environmentally based data at Federal, State, local, and project specific scales
- Experience or knowledge utilizing other geospatial applications and programs such ArcGIS Online, ArcExplorer, Arc Earth, Google Earth Engine, and Google Earth
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements. This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
Join WEST and you will discover a company comprised of dedicated employees, many of which have been part of the WEST family for over a decade. WEST is an employee owned organization with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce.
- Competitive salary and bonus structure
- Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- SEP IRA (100% employer contributions)
- Life insurance, Long Term Disability and AD&D
- Profit sharing potential
- Excellent administrative support
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
To Apply: Click “Apply Now” (or visit the WEST, Inc. Careers Page and select the job in which you are applying for). The application system allows for only one attachment (.doc or .pdf file) so combine the following prior to uploading:
- Cover letter convincing the hiring manager why they should interview you
- Resume which includes education, current and prior employment (with dates, address and phone number for each employer)
- Three professional references (preferably those that have supervised you in the past) with phone numbers and email addresses
*Please note email applications will not be accepted*