GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEM (GIS) SPECIALIST
SALARY: $5,460 – $6,589/month
FILING DEADLINE: Midnight – OPEN UNTIL FILLED
THE POSITION: GIS Specialists perform technical work related to the use and maintenance of the City GIS, including updates to parcel, utility and other GIS layers and the expansion of GIS as necessary. The incumbents will coordinate with key staff in various departments to perform data analysis, update data and maps, and provide general mapping expertise. Additionally, the incumbents will develop procedures, distribute data to users and performs related work as required. The GIS Specialist is a stand-alone class with an expertise in mapping and relational databases.
There is currently one vacancy in the Solid Waste Division of the Department of Public Utilities. Immediate and future vacancies will be filled from this eligible list for a period of six (6) months from the date the eligible list created, with the option of extending that period at the City's discretion. Should the competitive process be suspended for this recruitment, the eligibility list may be limited to three (3) months.
THE REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications on or before the posted filing deadline in order to qualify for the examination and does not assure a place on the eligibility list:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in geography, engineering, land surveying or a closely related field; and three (3) years of full time increasingly responsible experience operating, implementing and maintaining automated mapping and/or Geographic Information Systems (GIS); or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Possession and continued maintenance of a valid California Driver's License may be required at time of appointment. Candidates considered for hire must provide proof of a valid driver's license and current copy of their driving record.
The selected eligible candidates certified will be required to successfully pass a Department interview and a Department of Justice fingerprint prior to employment with the City of Fresno.
THE EXAMINATION PROCESS - The examination process may consist of the following:
- APPLICATION REVIEW - Qualifying Only: Applications which meet the minimum qualifications will be reviewed and a limited number of the most qualified candidates will be invited to the oral examination. Selection of the most qualified candidates will be based upon those applications demonstrating the greatest breadth and depth of applicable education, experience, skills and training. Therefore, applicants are urged to submit sufficiently detailed information in their application materials for evaluation.
- ORAL EXAM - 100%: A panel of subject matter experts will conduct a job-related oral examination to evaluate a candidate's knowledge of principles and methods used to develop GIS mapping, AutoCAD, ARC/INFO and Arc View; ability to utilize GIS Technology, develop, implement, and modify computer systems, analyze, interpret and explain technical GIS policies and procedures, and maintain effective working relationships or other topics related to a candidate's training, experience and qualifications for the position of Geographic Information System Specialist. Candidates must achieve a passing score to qualify for the eligible list.
- The Oral Examination has been tentatively scheduled for the week of March 18, 2019.
PAY, BENEFITS, AND WORK SCHEDULE
- RETIREMENT: Fresno City Retirement System, one of the best funded public systems in the state. Reciprocity with other public California systems. The City does not participate in Social Security. Vested in Retirement benefits after 5 years of service.
- HEALTH INSURANCE: The City contributes toward monthly premiums for PPO medical, dental and vision for employee and dependents.
- FLEXIBLE SPENDING ACCOUNT: IRS 125 Plan for health and dependent care expenses.
- DEFERRED COMPENSATION: Boost your retirement savings with The City’s 457 plan.
- VACATION LEAVE: Eight (8) hours per month, available after 6 months
- SICK LEAVE: Eight (8) hours per month, available after 90 days
- HOLIDAYS: Ten (10) City-observed annual holidays plus birthday and one (1) personal day.
- LIFE INSURANCE: Benefit equal to annual salary; premium paid by The City.
- SHORT TERM DISABILITY: Provided through California SDI program.
Additional information regarding the City of Fresno benefits is available at www.fresno.gov.
Qualified veterans who pass the examination may obtain five (5) additional points.
Candidates applying for veteran's preference are required to submit a copy of their DD214 with their application during the specified filing period. Evidence must be presented to indicate that the candidate was discharged honorably from the military service. Veterans, including City employees, must resubmit proof of honorable service for every examination for which veteran's preference credit is requested.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Fresno is an equal opportunity employer. Should you need a special accommodation due to a qualifying disability, please contact the Personnel Service Department at (559) 621-6950 in advance of the examination.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICANTS MUST COMPLETE AN ON-LINE APPLICATION. PLEASE VISIT WWW.FRESNO.GOV/JOBS TO APPLY. For information on how to complete an on-line application, please view "Instruction Guide" on the City's website, Personnel Services Career Opportunities page, or call (559) 621-6950 for assistance. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed employment application.
ALL CORRESPONDENCE regarding this recruitment and exam process will be sent via e-mail. All applicants will acknowledge such understanding when they complete their on-line application. Verify we have your correct e-mail address before you submit your application. It is an applicant's responsibility to check their email frequently to ensure they receive all pertinent communication from the Personnel Services Department on a timely basis. Applicants will receive an automatically generated confirmation e-mail upon a successful application submittal. The e-mail is the only proof of submittal.
Applications must be submitted by midnight on the filing deadline or they will not be accepted for any reason. FOR THIS RECRUITMENT, IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT PERMANENT FRESNO CITY EMPLOYEES APPLY THROUGH PEOPLESOFT SELF SERVICE.