Job Title: GIS Manager
City of San Marcos Information Technology
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Grade: Dependent on qualifications
Schedule: Monday-Friday – 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Submit all applications online at www.sanmarcostx.gov/jobs
GIS Manager is responsible for managing the development, implementation and maintenance of a comprehensive Citywide Geographic Information System (GIS) program. The position is responsible for planning, system design, implementation, operation, maintenance, staff development, GIS Analyst workload, and related work. Communicate on a daily basis with stakeholders, managing assigned resources, and assist Business Services Manager with budgeting, prioritizing of workload, hiring and attend meetings in their absence. Work closely with all Information Technology managers to accomplish priorities, and meet customers’ needs.
- Coordinates, oversees and is responsible for the planning, implementation and maintenance of GIS projects throughout the City including coordination with outside agencies (e.g., managing and administering Inter-local Agreement with other Cities, Hays County & School District with emphasis on sharing data.
- Acts as project leader, technical advisor, and advocate of further development; implements an integrated, agency-wide GIS by maintaining extensive contact with other professionals within the City establishing/supporting an agency-wide GIS Steering Committee and Users Group.
- Leads or serves on technical advisory committees, reviews consultant reports, and assists in project scoping as needed for GIS related projects.
- Oversees/monitors the City’s GIS database design, construction, operation, security and integrity, maintenance and backups, activity logs and organized documentation files; develops and enforces City-wide GIS data architecture, format and exchange standards.
- Develops annual and long term City GIS projects and related strategies; (e.g., prepares requests for proposal, solicits and reviews bids for GIS services, recommends awards to their Manager and monitors services for contract compliance; researches, writes and administers grants related to GIS projects, etc.)
- Administers GIS budget, authorizes expenditures and ensures cost effective operations.
- Manages development of GIS software applications within the City, involving configuring, designing, testing, documenting applications, training users and resolving problems as needed.
- Advises City staff on complex spatial information analysis and geographic interpretations.
- Develops and supports GIS and GPS data-capture activities among the lines of City business and provides GIS products and technical support to internal and external customers.
- Investigates and recommends GIS software, hardware and networking options and alternatives, including recommendations for funding.
- Develops and implements an effective GIS training program for the City staff at various levels of expertise, educating staff and management on GIS capabilities and opportunities
- Plan and direct classroom training, electronic learning, multimedia programs, and other computer-aided instructional technologies, simulators, conferences and workshops.
- Prepares and manages the GIS plan and budget in accordance with guidelines.
- Challenges others to develop as leaders while serving as a role model and mentor.
- Manages the development of team by ensuring, when possible, that employee goals are in line with each employee’s career interests, evaluates staff, resolve employee concerns and problems, counseling, disciplining, and complete employee performance appraisals.
- Manages the day-to-day operations of areas of responsibilities. Selects, trains, develops and assesses the performance of staff.
- Inspires coworkers to attain goals and pursue excellence.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement and makes constructive suggestions for change.
- Manages the process of innovative change effectively.
- Remains on the forefront of emerging industry practices.
- Suggests areas for improvement in internal processes along with possible solutions.
- Leads internal teams/task forces
- Reviews the status reports of team members and addresses issues as appropriate.
- Develops/Complies with and helps to enforce standard policies and procedures.
- Generate status, statistical and analytical reports.
- Develop, implements and monitors performance measures to ensure that established service targets meet customer business requirements.
- Optimize client and internal satisfaction through teamwork and a strong commitment to customer service by:
- Fostering an atmosphere of collaborative problem-solving to ensure the networks and systems needs of the enterprise strategic plans are met
- Displaying a strong commitment to customer service
- Leading wherever possible to facilitate operational improvement
- Taking timely and decisive action when necessary to ensure that critical activities are accomplished promptly and successfully
- Maintaining responsiveness
- Sharing knowledge with peers
- Builds professional and trusting client relationships.
- Manages client's expectations.
- Responds to client communications in a timely manner.
- Understands the client's needs and desires.
- Ensures timely delivery of product.
- Solicits and anticipates client's needs.
- Analytical thinking to involve observations, experience, evaluation and reasoning.
- Manage internal and external resources if assigned to project.
- Bachelor’s Degree GIS, Geography, Engineering, Computer Science or related field required.
- Six years progressive professional-level experience in the design, development, implementation and administration of geographic information systems, including project management and oversight; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three years of supervisory experience.
- Expert knowledge of GIS principles, practices, capabilities and limitations with proficiency in GIS related software (e.g., Arc/Info, ArcSDE, ArcIMS, other ESRI Extensions and software.
- Comprehensive knowledge of related ESRI programming tools and languages; familiarity with Oracle, MS SQL or other enterprise-level relational database systems design, development, administration, tuning, and backup principles and their relationship to GIS; knowledge of GIS data architecture design and modeling practices, GIS client-server hardware, software and network configuration, project management and control.
- Knowledge of statistical and spatial analysis, data interoperability, geo-processing, 3D visualization and multi-editor practices, basic cartography methodologies and GPS equipment and operations.
- Skill in communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing; skill to operate all computer equipment; skill in communicating technical information to individuals with varying levels of computer literacy.
- Ability to supervise employees; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, City employees, outside organizations, service providers and the general public.
- Must be able to pass FBI criminal background fingerprint check, and have the ability to comply with state and federal requirements for criminal justice information security standards.
- Must secure and maintain a favorable background investigation; must have valid driver’s license, motor vehicle liability insurance and personal injury insurance.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License with an acceptable driving record.
- Experience in implementing enterprise solutions.
- Experience developing and implementing a GIS business plan
- Experience developing innovative solutions
- A leading edge GIS solutions developer
- A person that has presentation skills
- GISP (GIS Professional) certification
- Must obtain ITIL Foundation certification within 1 year
- Ability to work in all MS Office Products. Project Management Skills: working with individuals, vendors, and reading pages of information and budgets, creating and documenting project management processes (i.e. project charter, requirements specification, project schedule, issue tracking, risk assessment, training plan, and project management plan.
- Facilitates team and client meetings effectively.
- Holds regular status meetings with team.
- Keeps teams well informed of changes within the organization and general news.
- Effectively communicates relevant information to superiors.
- Delivers engaging, informative, well-organized presentations.
- Resolves and/or escalates issues in a timely fashion.
- Understands how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
- Possess the ability to translate and implement business functional requirements into GIS solution.
- Possesses general understanding of the business practices for each department and/or division.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the City’s capabilities and GIS direction.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work generally performed in a climate controlled building with minimal exposure to outdoor weather conditions. The physical requirements of the job include the ability to sit, talk, kneel, bend at both the waist and knee, reach with the arms over the head, and hear, both on the telephone and in person, using regular conversational tones; vision requires the ability to focus and read printouts, computer, screens, and other written material. Duties may require lifting up to 30 pounds and have the use of hands and fingers to perform essential functions of the job, i.e., typing, data entry, using the calculator, and operating other office equipment.
Working conditions involve occasional exposure to variable and /or extreme weather conditions when responding to emergencies, working at heights, and working in confined spaces.
Submit all applications online at www.sanmarcostx.gov/jobs