Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist
St Tammany Parish Government, Mandeville, Louisiana
Salary: $50,544 - $62,829
Filing Deadline: Friday, May 24, 2019 - Midnight
The Position: GIS Specialist is under the direction of the GIS Manager. The GIS Specialist assists in the integration, management and mining of geospatial information in St Tammany Parish Government’s enterprise Geographic Information System (GIS).
Essential Job Functions: Essential duties are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. The omission of specific statements or duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Performs advanced geospatial analyses including but not limited to demographics, profiles, modeling administrative or political boundaries, land use, land cover classification, environmental, impact studies, socioeconomic indices, infrastructure and transportation networks, and emergency operations
- Creating, maintaining and providing maps and digital data for the public and various parish departments
- Conversion of hard copy data to digital geospatial products
- Responsible for the maintenance of our large format printers, plotters and scanners.
- Creating a geospatial product from the legal description of a property boundary,
- Provide the Census Bureau with geographic data on a monthly basis
- Use of a GPS and other data collected in the field to produce map products and reports.
- Experience using MS Office Software including: Access, Excel, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint
- Any other duties as assigned
Competencies: The applicant must be able to operate basic office equipment and specialty equipment, including a high-end PC workstation, large plotter, printer and scanner. The applicant must have considerable knowledge of ArcGIS and relational database technologies. Specifically ESRI (Environmental Systems Research Institute), ArcGIS, ArcEditor, and ArcCatalog and familiarity with SQL databases. Knowledge of ArcGIS Online, ArcServer and ArcGIS Portal technology are important. The applicant must have an in depth understanding of cartographic standards including coordinate systems, longitude, latitude, elevation, topology, and map scales. The applicant must have skills in operating the listed tools and equipment as well as strong skills in planning, organizing, and accomplishing multiple projects. Applicants must have the ability to effectively communicate both orally, and in writing. The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and external stakeholders is critical.
- Masters in Geography, GIS, Computer Science, Urban Planning or a closely related field preferred, and a minimum four years’ experience working in a GIS-related field or a Bachelor of Science in Geography /GIS with a concentration in spatial or geographical data, and a minimum four years’ experience in a GIS-related field.
- Must have experience with aerial imagery and geospatial software packages (specifically ESRI ArcGIS).
- The applicant should have knowledge of data management techniques and geospatial data files.
- Must be able to extract, manipulate and display data using a variety of applications and have an understanding of survey and cadastral data techniques.
- Experience with LIDAR data, and imagery is a plus.
- Knowledge of programming in Python would be valuable.
- A GISP Certification is an advantage, but is not required.
- Applicant must possess a valid Driver’s License.
Work Environment: The incumbent works in a typical office environment with little or no exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Primary functions are limited to an office environment. Occasional duties may require travel or work in a non-office environment.
Physical Demands: Medium work. Medium work involves lifting no more than 50 pounds at a time with frequent lifting or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds. If someone can do medium work, we determine that he or she can also do sedentary and light work.
Benefits and Work Schedule: St Tammany Parish offers its employees a full range of benefits including a state retirement system, health life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, a deferred compensation plan, vacation, sick leave and holidays. The work schedule is 8:00 am – 4:30 pm with an hour off for lunch.
Please submit a compelling cover letter, comprehensive resume and complete a St Tammany Parish employment application online: https://selfservice.stpgov.org/MSS/employmentopportunities/CreateApplicant.aspx
St. Tammany Parish Government is an EOE/M/F/Disability/Veteran
St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana is on the Northshore of Lake Ponchartrain, 45 minutes north of New Orleans and the natural choice for families, foodies, nature and art lovers, and golfers. Find festivals, go shopping, tour and sample a microbrewery, try tubing, fishing, cycle the Tammany Trace, enjoy a wine tasting or take a swamp tour. View information about St.Tammany’s events and activities at: https://www.louisiananorthshore.com/