Reports To: GIS Manager
Pay Plan: 75hrs per pay period
Type: Full Time
FLSA: Non Exempt
Summary: The GIS Specialist is under the direction of the GIS Manager. The GIS Specialist assists in the integration, management, and mining of geographical information in St Tammany Parish Government’s enterprise Geographic Information System (GIS).
Essential Job Functions: Essential duties are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. The omission of specific statements or duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Performs advanced geospatial analyses including, but not limited, to demographics, profiles, modeling administrative or political boundaries, land use, land cover classification, environmental impact studies, socioeconomic indices, infrastructure and transportation networks, and emergency operations
- Creating, maintaining and providing maps and digital data for the public and various parish departments
- Conversion of hard copy data to digital geospatial products
- Familiar with the use and maintenance of large format printers, plotters, and scanners.
- Creating a geospatial product from the legal description of a property boundary,
- Provide the Census Bureau with geographic data on a monthly basis
- Use of a GPS and other data collected in the field to produce map products and reports.
- Experience using MS Office Software including: Access, Excel, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint
- Any other duties as assigned
Competencies: The applicant must be able to operate basic office equipment and specialty equipment, including a high-end PC workstation, large plotter, printer and scanner. The applicant must have considerable knowledge of ArcGIS (or ArcGIS Pro) and relational database technologies. Specifically, ESRI (Environmental Systems Research Institute), ArcGIS, ArcEditor, and ArcCatalog and familiarity with SQL databases. Knowledge of ArcGIS Online, ArcServer and ArcGIS Portal technology would be helpful. The employee must have skills in operating the listed tools and equipment, strong skills in planning, organizing, and accomplishing multiple projects. Applicants must have the ability to effectively communicate orally, and in writing. The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and between Parish Departments and external stakeholders is critical. The applicant must have a working knowledge of land use maps and legal descriptions, and be proficient in cartographic standards including coordinate systems, longitude, latitude, elevation, topography, and map scales.
Work Environment: The incumbent works in a typical office environment with little or no exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Primary functions are limited to an office environment. Occasional duties may require travel or work in a non-office environment.
Physical Demands: Medium work. Medium work involves lifting no more than 50 pounds at a time with frequent lifting or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds. If someone can do medium work, we determine that he or she can also do sedentary and light work.
Required Education/Qualifications: Masters in Geography, GIS, Computer Science, Urban Planning or a closely related field preferred, or Bachelor of Science in Geography, Urban Planning or related field with a concentration in spatial or geographical data, GIS, Computer Science or a closely related field, mandatory and a minimum four years’ experience in a GIS-related field required. Must have experience with remote sensing and geospatial software packages (ERDAS Imagine, ESRI software) as well as an interest in learning how to use new software. The employee must have knowledge of data management techniques and geospatial data files. Must be able to extract, manipulate and display data using a variety of applications and have a working knowledge of survey and cadastral techniques. Experience with LIDAR data, and imagery is a plus. Knowledge of programming in Python would be valuable. A GISP Certification is recommended, but is not required.
Applicant must possess a valid Driver’s License.
Pay Range: $25.92 - $28.89 per hour.
St. Tammany Parish Government is an EOE/M/F/Disability/Veteran