Environmental Data Manager
University of Idaho
Industry:Division/College: University Research (Division)
Position Summary: Operate within the UI Northwest Knowledge Network (NKN) team mainly in support of the NSF EPSCoR Track 1 (“MILES”) project. Ensure that all research data acquired, developed and generated by MILES researchers are securely archived, documented, and made discoverable/accessible to other researchers and the general public. Work collaboratively with the MILES cyberinfrastructure (CI) team to ensure researchers adhere to the MILES Data Management Plan and Data Sharing Policy.
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree (Computer Science, Management Information Systems (MIS), or data-intensive domain science), or equivalent experience. Minimum five years of demonstrable experience with databases, web-based information management systems, or GIS systems
- Masters Degree in related area plus 2 years of related experience in areas listed above
- Excellent Written/Verbal Communication and interpersonal skills
- Willingness and ability to travel to the various research universities within Idaho to meet and work with researchers and stakeholders in order to provide training/guidance and assistance on managing MILES data.
- Self-Motivated team-oriented attitude
Preferred Qualifications/Experience with the following technologies:
- MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, or similar
- Web Development with Drupal or similar content management system (CMS)
- Proficiency in one or more of the following programming languages: Perl, Python, PHP, Java, SQL.
- Scientific and Geospatial Metadata Standards (e.g. ISO-19115, FGDC, EML, etc.)
- GIS systems (e.g. Esri ArcGIS, Esri Geoportal Server, etc.)
- UNIX operating systems, especially Linux.
- Apache HTTPD and Tomcat servers
- Software configuration and versioning tools such as: Git/GitHub,Subversion, etc.
- Demonstrable experience with academic, scientific research and working with scientific researchers.
Ability to: work independently and with teams; work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and levels within the organization; work weekends, after regular business hours and holidays; possess valid driver’s license.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
Posting Number: SP000887P
Posting Date: March 30, 2016
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
- The first review of applicants will be on April 29, 2016.
- Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates may be required to pass a criminal background check.
To Apply for this position:
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu