Call for Nominations for 2015 URISA Awards
In addition to the URISA GIS Hall of Fame and the Exemplary Systems in Government Awards, URISA recognizes a number of individuals for their volunteer service to URISA each year during the awards breakfast at URISA's annual conference, this year being presented in conjunction with the NWGIS Users' Group, October 18-22, 2015 in Spokane, Washington.
The nominations process for URISA's Horwood Distinguished Service, Leadership, Service, and Barbara Hirsch Special Service Award is now open with nominations due Friday, May 1, 2015. Individuals are invited to review the award criteria and the list of past recipients and complete a nomination form.
- Horwood Distinguished Service Award - An occasional award given for long-term service to URISA and the profession. This award is URISA’s ultimate award for service and leadership to URISA and within the geospatial industry. Awardees will have demonstrated significant contributions to both URISA and the geospatial technologies industry. The Horwood Distinguished Service Award is named after founding member and first URISA President, Edgar Horwood. Horwood was an early pioneer in the field of information systems for local government and admired by all for his intellectual and organizational contributions to URISA. Horwood was the Chair of the constitutional drafting committee, giving URISA the "open membership" model that has led to our inter-disciplinary organization.
- Leadership Award - Presented to members who have demonstrated exemplary leadership to URISA, creativity, innovation, and dedicated support of URISA programs. The recipient should be a member of URISA for enough years to show a pattern of leadership. Typically the recipient will have been responsible for new programs or activities, or significantly enhanced an existing activity or program, so that it takes URISA in a new direction and/or enhances our standing in the professional community.
- Service Award - Presented to members who have demonstrated faithful service to URISA and participation in its program over a period of several years. This award is for specific service to URISA. It should require a significant number of years of (not necessarily consecutive) service in a number of programs or committees, and a willingness to take on challenges without regard to the potential for recognition.
- Barbara Hirsch Special Service Award - Presented to members or staff who have made special contributions to URISA. This award was created (in 2004) to honor URISA’s former Chief Financial Officer, Barbara Hirsch. Barb made her mark at URISA by being an exceptional professional who would always step forward when a point needed to be made, but never stepped to the front for recognition. It is in the spirit of this dedication that the Board of Directors has created an award for special service to URISA. This award will be given to individuals or committees who have shown a similar consummate level of service to URISA through an ongoing commitment to our success as an organization.
- Review the award descriptions and think of someone you would like to nominate in that particular category. Then, complete the nomination form by May 1, 2015.
- You may submit multiple nominations, but each nomination must be submitted via a separate form.
- The Awards Committee will select the winners in June. In July, the winners will be notified.
- The winners will be recognized during the Awards Breakfast in Spokane, Washington on October 21, 2015.
Submit your nomination via this online form by May 1, 2015.