GIS Leadership Academy: Popular URISA Program to be Offered Three Times in 2020
Des Plaines, IL (September 4, 2019) —With one more GIS Leadership Academy in 2019 (Phoenix, Arizona - October 21-25, 2019), URISA is pleased to announce that the program will be offered three times in 2020:
- Minneapolis, Minnesota - June 8-12, 2020
- Portland, Oregon - August 17-21, 2020
- St. Petersburg, Florida - November 9-13, 2020
The URISA GIS Leadership Academy has enjoyed steady and enthusiastic participation since it was first presented in 2007. Since then, more than 800 GIS professionals have attended the specialized five-day GIS leadership and management training program that focuses on:
- GIS leadership and management techniques
- Strategic planning
- Successful team development
- Organizational capacity building and sustainability strategies (ROI, innovative funding ideas)
- Program investment and justification
- Change management
- Situation assessment and organizational performance evaluation
- Ethics and professional challenges
- Problem solving
The Academy is taught by proven leaders in the profession (all are GISPs and accomplished in the field). Each course includes numerous interactive exercises, team-building tools, and opportunities to delve into topics in a way you cannot do at a large conference. (Note that course attendance is limited in size to encourage interaction.)
Attendance at the GLA earns substantial GISP® Education Points and AICP-CM credits.
Why did you choose the URISA GIS Leadership Academy?
- I chose the URISA GIS Leadership Academy because of its reputation for providing excellent leadership training specific to those in the GIS profession. I have a couple of colleagues who have attended in previous years that speak very highly of it as well.
- Appears to be a rare opportunity to experience "GIS" training at the management/leadership level, rather than the very common technical level.
What do you hope to gain from your GLA participation?
- To develop and enhance my leadership skills in order to provide our County with the best GIS!
- I need to move away from handling the technical aspects of GIS and become more of a strategist to develop long-term City-wide implementation for GIS.
- Learn leadership skills to help push GIS to City leaders and enable them to make data-driven decisions.
- I would like to learn about growing a program and how to demonstrate the benefit of GIS to upper management.
Learn more about this unique GIS leadership program here. Be sure to take advantage of early registration and team discounts.